Author Topic: Return of the Bob Ditchburn / JP Beck Lock!  (Read 6946 times)

Offline Chris Evrard

Re: Return of the Bob Ditchburn / JP Beck Lock!
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2024, 01:07:42 AM »
Hey All,

Lets see if I can answer these questions. As for updates, I am currently working on springs. I finally have a sear spring I like. Tomorrow I am meeting with the company that is going to cut my blanks for me. I had been stacking the material and milling them for the prototypes. This is way too much work to be profitable with them, so laser cutting it is.......

The frizzen springs are going to be cast for now. Probably milled in the future. Anyhow, I got my castings annealed and built jigs to drill and tap them. The frizzen spring uses a blind screw so I have to tap it from the back side. Always fun!

I have forged a few main springs, but am still dialing that whole process in. I'm also adjusting and machining the bending jigs for this process. What a bear.

So once the springs are sorted out I just have to order the various grades of stock, machine the final parts and start assembling. Sounds easy right!?

As for my timeline, I was hoping to have locks to sell at the Carlisle show. That is unlikely at this point. Not only is my day job getting in the way, what is new? But unfortunately my niece passed away. My wife and son left to be with her family this morning and I am flying out this coming week. I still hope to have a example/sample lock or two for the show. But it is highly unlikely I'll have any to sell by then.

I sincerely appreciate all the interest. It is just a matter of time (where have I heard that before? lol).

Marc, Thank you so much for the compliment! It means a lot :)

Hoping everyone is having a prosperous and healthy New Year.

Best,

Chris E.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2024, 08:34:28 PM »
Chris,
I used 1144 "Stressproof" for tumblers,0-1 for "flies" and sears and 1018 Cold Finished low carbon for bridles and caplock plates.
1075 for internal springs and cast frizzen springs.These material are in locks all over the world and no reported failures. The 1018
can be case hardened if need arises.Screws were 12L14 and bought in whatever diameter the head of the screws were.These are
at least to me,all well proven for locks and triggers.I am now gazing into the twin muzzles of 88 years and hope you can take advantage
of my proven experiences with these materials.The 1144 machines like 12lL14 and is very easy to shape and hardens in oil like drill rod.
Bob Roller

Offline t.caster

« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2024, 01:37:19 AM »
Hey Chris, any update on this lock? I'd like to try one of your prototype mainsprings in my Hollenbaugh JP Beck lock! Is that possible?
Tom C.

Offline Chris Evrard

« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2024, 11:50:27 PM »
Hey Tom,

It may be possible soon......

Right now the only thing I lack on the Ditchburn/Beck lock is the mainspring. I've been working on a few ways of going about making them but haven't settled on which option to use yet.

I don't want to do a milled mainspring as there are problems with these types of springs taking a "set" and losing strength.

So I've been working on several different ways of producing a cost effective forged spring. So far I have some good springs, but the "cost effective" element has eluded me. There are still a few things left to try so as time permits in the shop I'll be continuing to work this all out.

Thank you for your interest and I'll keep everyone updated as things come along.

Best,

Chris E.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2024, 02:50:38 AM »
No, there are no issues with a milled spring taking a set.  Taking a set has absolutely nothing to do with the manufacturing process, but rather the material and the hardness it was tempered to.

Since we are about the only ones milling springs in quantities, I can only assume someone has made this assumption in regards to our locks.  The first few locks we made didn’t have quite the right hardness and preload, resulting in a weaker spring.  This was corrected long ago. 

This assessment is coming not only a producer of locks, but also a degreed metallurgist.

Offline Chris Evrard

« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2024, 04:27:30 PM »
The topic here is not anyone else's locks, or design. It is the return of the Ditchburn / Beck lock.

Thank you,

CE

No, there are no issues with a milled spring taking a set.  Taking a set has absolutely nothing to do with the manufacturing process, but rather the material and the hardness it was tempered to.

Since we are about the only ones milling springs in quantities, I can only assume someone has made this assumption in regards to our locks.  The first few locks we made didn’t have quite the right hardness and preload, resulting in a weaker spring.  This was corrected long ago. 

This assessment is coming not only a producer of locks, but also a degreed metallurgist.

Offline AwwNaww

• Starting Member
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2024, 07:02:54 PM »
You said there were problems with a milled spring taking a set. You were "correctly corrected"

One of my undergrad degrees is P. Met. Milling has no impact on springs taking a set.

Offline Chris Evrard

« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2024, 08:49:45 PM »
You said there were problems with a milled spring taking a set. You were "correctly corrected"

One of my undergrad degrees is P. Met. Milling has no impact on springs taking a set.

See above. This thread is about the return of the Ditchburn/Beck lock, and how I am building it. If you wish to debate springs, our educations (or anything else) with me, send me a PM. I'll be happy to oblige you there. Alternatively start your own post.

Have a great day,

CE

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2024, 10:08:52 PM »
If you wish to say something that isn’t correct and can have an impact on how our product is perceived you can expect correction. 

If you are going to post on forums like this, you should expect questioning or dissent.  A new topic or thread is not required as long as the post doesn’t violate forum rules and is on topic.

Have a great day
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 12:37:00 AM by Jim Kibler »

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2024, 10:32:19 PM »
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2024, 04:54:59 AM »
  Chris keep at it..because a lot of us are looking forward to your lock..!!

Offline Jdbeck

« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2024, 05:30:48 AM »
Keep working at it Chris, and you’ll resolve the troubles. I’m stoaked for this lock to hit the market!

Offline t.caster

« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2024, 05:09:26 PM »
My little Beck fowler needs a heart transplant! I hope you will put me on the top of the list when they are available!
I appreciate your efforts!
Tom C.

Offline Chris Evrard

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2024, 05:49:19 PM »
Thanks guys! Also, thanks to everyone who has reached out. I just can't wait to get some more time in on this mainspring design/process.

I am so swamped with "regular" shop work right now. It is a great problem to have but I hate that it takes time away from the Ditchburn.

Best,

CE

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2024, 07:25:55 PM »
One of the joys of a one man shop ;D ;D.Maybe your little apprentice can help.
Bob Roller