Author Topic: Bucks County  (Read 13060 times)

Offline yip

Re: Bucks County
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2018, 02:50:40 PM »
VP; i ordered the dvd tthis morning, thanks for the input hope to do a good job on this next build.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2018, 03:35:43 PM »
VP; i ordered the dvd tthis morning, thanks for the input hope to do a good job on this next build.
That dvd is going to knock your socks off.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline yip

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2018, 05:18:41 PM »
 i hope, thats why i wear boots!

Offline alacran

« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2018, 11:24:18 AM »
I made this interpretation of a Bucks County rifle mostly from the few pictures that are available. RCA, Kindigs book and a couple others. I scaled out the " unknown" gun in Shumways RCA, to the best of my abilities. I started with a blank Troy Sweeney gave me for some help. The wood had a few issues but I was determined to make it work.

I made all the furniture excepting the trigger guard. It is a Reeves Goring Schuler TG.
I made this 3 years ago and has seen some hunts and Rendesvous. Unlike most of the BC guns in the Books this one has a .54 rifled barrel.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline flehto

« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2018, 12:52:34 PM »
That's a  really nice Bucks County LR....has all the features too. A couple of my early  BC builds also had .54 swamped bbls {C weight from Rice} and if done right, can still be slim.

Used Goehring's  # 47 TG which actually was a Verner and had to file the thumbnails fore and aft. Didn't know that he had a Shuler TG. Can't tell if the Pbox lid release rod  is under the toeplate?

Nice job on the entry pipe....that can be a deterrent in making a BC LR because it can't be bought.  Your sideplate is nicely done and resembles those of Verner.

The Bplate I mainly  used  came from Dru Hedgecock and  is virtually  the same as those used by Shuler....Dru is retired and can't find that particular  Bplate  at any other supplier.

The top BC shown below is my 3rd attempt of a BC LR and is a .54. The bottom pic has the Bplate  that I used on most of the BC builds and resembles a Shuler BPlate. 

Again ....thanks for posting a beautiful BC LR......Fred

« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 01:11:31 PM by flehto »

Offline yip

« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2018, 02:35:29 PM »
Alacran,and Fred: beautiful rifles i hope to start soon as soon as Rice comes through,great looking rifles!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2018, 03:07:00 PM »
Alacran,and Fred: beautiful rifles i hope to start soon as soon as Rice comes through,great looking rifles!!!!!!!!!!!
All those pics above should give you some great inspiration. They sure are great rifles.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline yip

« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2018, 03:16:18 PM »
 what is the basic caliber for a B/C? i ordered a 40 from RICE i hope this is gonna be right h/c

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2018, 03:18:43 PM »
what is the basic caliber for a B/C? i ordered a 40 from RICE i hope this is gonna be right h/c
I'd have to look in my Shumway RCA Volumes to find out for you..... ;)

Offline yip

« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2018, 03:40:00 PM »
 Mike looked it up in my RCA and Verner showing a 46 caliber, Shuler shows a 52, maybe i'll call Jason at Rice, Fred what do ya think?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 03:41:47 PM by yip »

Offline flehto

« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2018, 03:51:51 PM »
Eric....surely would appreciate any info on Weiker.  Here's my e-mail address...
fklehto@charter.net          Thanks.....Fred

Offline flehto

« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2018, 03:55:54 PM »
YIP....all of my later BCs have a Rice "B" weight swamped bbl that's 46" long and in .50 cal. .....Fred

Offline alacran

« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2018, 03:57:26 PM »
Thanks for the compliments Fred. I really like Bucks County rifles. I hope to make another one soon.
On this gun the patch box release protrudes through the toe plate. It also has a standing breech I copied from Verner's gun. 
I pounded the BP out of a 1/4 inch piece of brass . Had to keep putting it back in the stove to keep it annealed. Next one I make I'll start with 1/8th inch brass.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline alacran

« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2018, 04:12:36 PM »
Yip thanks for the compliment.
I forgot to mention. Jason at Rice is making a BC profile barrel. I believe Jason told me that the .50 cal. comes in at 4 lbs. You should be able to make a fairly light gun with that.  Was going to pick one up at Friendship, but I am really backed up with projects.

Offline yip

« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2018, 04:39:58 PM »
Alacran and Fred; called Jason at Rice and changed my order to a "b" Bucks County profile 44" long round rifling, again 3 month turnaround. hope all goes right

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2018, 06:34:12 AM »
alacran and flehto,
TOW has a BC buttplate that is, I believe, is BP 22. Would that work for the buttplate like you, Fred, said you use to get from Dru Hedgcock. Or, alacran would that work for the one you made if out of 1/8 thick brass. I really like the graceful contour of that sweeping buttplate.

Offline flehto

« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2018, 02:50:35 PM »
elkhorne....have used TOW's BP-22  and  it's shown in a previous post on p3 ...just scroll  back until you come to the first pics of 2 buttstocks. It's the top pic and the bottom pic is the one from Hedgecock which I prefer and no longer can locate.

Actually the BPlate from Hedgecock req'd some work to  duplicate the Bplate used by Shuler....The return was faceted as cast and had to be filed round and the thumbnail had to be filed in  and 2 lines had to be cut in. The top pic is a Shuler original and the bottom pic is one of my builds. ....Fred

Offline yip

« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2018, 03:06:09 PM »
 that's a great looking b/p.

Offline yip

« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2018, 03:24:53 PM »
trying to locate a b/p for a B/C rifle, the only one i see is from TOTW but  has facits and a squared off comb can this be filed to my liking? i like the one Fred has

Offline yip

« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2018, 04:26:22 PM »
Spinner; tryed to locate his web could not hide him

Offline flehto

« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2018, 04:26:49 PM »
Hi....I've always used Reeves'  # 47 TG which was actually a Verner style and had to have the thumbnails filed on and also the finial facets had to be changed , but could never see his BC Bplate because it was always "out of stock".  The modified Verner TG { the one used w/ his "masterpiece" BC LR } is shown below.

Reeves' BC Bplate could possibly be available from his daughter who has continued the business. If it also is a Verner, it might also be the one  from his "masterpiece" LR which looks a lot like a Lancaster Bplate.  I don't know his daughter's tel, no. If she has the Shuler style TG and Bplate, these might be closer to what I used. ....Fred

Offline rmcgowan

• Starting Member
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2018, 05:05:13 PM »
Dave Keck at Knob Mountain offered a bucks(Shuler I believe) bplate and trigger guard .

Bob

Offline flehto

« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2018, 05:55:03 PM »
I think I've found the Bplate that I formerly bought from Hedgecock....TOW #BP-K-3-B. TOW states that it's an early Bethlehem, but the dims and looks all match what I've been using on my BC builds.  As I said...it requires eliminating the return facets and rounding them off and filing in a thumbnail. It's a quality sand casting and the cost is $17.99. The problem is that it's back ordered. Perhaps if enough builders ordered one or two, the foundry might produce a few.....Fred
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 05:58:57 PM by flehto »

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2018, 07:18:05 PM »
Dave Keck, supplies basically the same Shuler "thumbnail" butt plate and trigger guard as used by John Shuler while he worked in Bucks Co.  His castings are very close to those that Reves Goehring used to supply.  Dave's castings have little extra material to be removed and are easily cleaned up for usage.    Verner did not use the thumbnail design on either of his signed works..   At one time Reaves had several Shuler butt plates including one w/ a rounded bottom that was used on a fowler... There are a number of near bench copies of Bucks Co. rifles on my web site.  "Spinner" above supplied a lot of the research that went into these rifles.  Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline flehto

« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2018, 07:26:18 PM »
Thanks for your important info on BC  TGs and Bplates. How do I get to your website....and what is Dave Keck's website contact info.

Just looked at Knob Mountain and didn't find any BC components......Fred
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 07:32:09 PM by flehto »