Author Topic: Plan n Perdy Riffles  (Read 28054 times)

Offline blienemann

Re: Plan n Perdy Riffles
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2018, 05:35:41 AM »
Thanks Allen for showing us the early Lancaster lines, and Ken for a very interesting piece with so many details – the lock and mounts, and the punch marks on ramrod pipe?  And all for your comments and questions we learn from.  Here’s a simple piece from Mark Silver, who has experimented with old ways of stocking and finishing.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2018, 03:08:08 PM »
Here is a 40 cal Don Bruton built for me in the white. I did the finish on the metal and the wood. B weight 38 inch Rice barrel with a Chambers round faced english lock Don forged the mounts. I wanted a dark finish so I added lots of lamp black to the bees wax finish an applied many coats with a heat gun till the stock would soak up no more. Don put his nailed on buttplate with horse shoe nails. This rifle has no nosecap, entry thimble or sideplate. Just a meat an taters rifle

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2018, 04:11:01 PM »
These guns are more interesting to look at than the high end guns many of us post here. So far I haven't seen one I didn't like.....in fact I'd like to own all of them!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline k gahagan

« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2018, 04:13:22 PM »
Good thread, a lot of really nice guns being shown here. Doesn't have to be fancy to be a great piece. Bob I'm glad you noticed the punch design on the forward thimble. This was a detail on the original and it was only on this one thimble. The others were plain and there was no entry thimble at all. That's one of the fun parts of studying the originals. Looking at all the little details and wondering how and why they are there. I'm guessing that at some point the muzzle thimbe needed replaced and they simply reused or recycled a brass object to fabricate the pipe, I would guess it's a section of an old tobacco box.

Offline jim alford

« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2018, 05:27:27 PM »
Here is one that is pretty plain , but no way a three day rifle . It took that long to hammer out the trigger guard , butt plate , thimbles and tenons . The rifle has a 42" 40 caliber Rice barrel and a Chambers lock . No entry pipe , side plate , or nose cap .

car insurance for non us citizens

Offline yellowhousejake

« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2018, 05:50:15 PM »
Fun thread and thanks for getting it started Bob ..
I wished I had taken more pictures in the past of these plain rifles as I built a fair number of em ..

Here is a Early Lancaster , sorta has a John Newcomer influence .... 58 caliber , sugar maple stock ...
For a client who lives in Lancaster County ..

Enjoy ...

That is about the most beautiful rifle I have ever seen. I can absolutely see that rifle over the shoulder of a man wearing a buckskin shirt with the words "Live Free of Die" painted on the front.

DAve

Davemuzz

« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2018, 07:13:37 PM »
Jim Alford.....I like the double dovetail cut for the front sight!!  Very nice!!

Offline blienemann

« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2018, 10:01:26 PM »
Wattlebuster – that’s a fine looking rifle by you and Don B.  Like Eric’s comment about the unfinished rifle from Dixon’s, a homegrown finish like you applied would be more common and better protection for a rifle purchased in the white.  Like Mike, I’m enjoying all these posts with photos and questions or details.  Ken, an old tobacco box!  I’ve been reading Foxfire V again, and Herschel used a cultivator shield for his ramrod pipes.  On the farm we had a “wood pile” and an “iron pile” – items we always found a use for later.  Perhaps we should look around the shop or the piles outside to make our rifles more historic?  Jim – that’s a sweet looking rifle, and after the mounts were made, maybe close to 3 days.  Jack started with sand castings and a finished lock – a good head start beyond forging mounts. 

Here’s a plain but fully mounted rifle from Joe Schell – maybe he will chime in or post more?   

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2018, 01:54:56 AM »
Bob this rifle by Joe Schell based on number 194 in Ivey's NC book has been on ALR previously.  It is a number one hunting rifle in .54 cal. 42" c weight barrel. About as clean lines as you could ask for in a rifle. Nail in the butt as it has no buttplate, entry thimble or nose cap. I asked for the sling swivels as there weren't any on the original.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2018, 01:59:29 AM »
I love that rifle Tim. In fact this is one of the best threads Ive seen in a while
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2018, 02:07:27 AM »
Super elegant rifle.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2018, 04:37:34 AM »
Great topic!

Sometimes I hear people say that when building a simple gun, getting "the lines" right becomes even more important than when building a more decorated piece. I don't agree. I admit that in some extreme cases one can be temporarily distracted by shiny things, but the simple things have to work on a complicated gun too, and they have to harmonize with all the bling in every way imaginable. No amount of shiny can make a bad gun good.

Likewise, simple decorative elements on simple guns either blend and become an effective part of the whole or they become a memorable failure to be eternally treasured by all those who view them

Mikecooper

« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2018, 05:47:14 AM »
I really like the finish on this,  golden yellow base with the dark red over it. Is that a modern stain?    Is that maple?   Almost looks like cherry.   

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2018, 07:32:28 AM »
This is an absolutely wonderful thread.  So many approaches to simplicity and grace.....

Keep em coming.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline ericxvi

• Starting Member
« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2018, 05:09:54 PM »
  Here's my version of the "Plain Southern Rifle" , # 5 on Roy McKnight's video from the 90's.

emily dickinson famous poems list

Offline blienemann

« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2018, 10:31:50 PM »
Thanks sqrldog and ericxvi for showing us contemporary versions of great old rifles – I enjoy learning our history this way.  Would be good to see more views of these two rifles?  And thanks Ian for a collection of profiles, mounts, details and finishes.  Just the variety of locks you’ve modified is a study in itself, or your metalwork.  Mikecooper asked about the finish on a Jud Brennan rifle I posted.  Some of our makers have spent 30, 40 or more years developing their craft, including finishes and faux aging.  Some share that information, others do not.  I think it’s OK for us to post photos of others’ work we admire, but it would not be appropriate to share their techniques if we know, or to speculate if we don’t.  That’s how I’ve come to view this, but welcome other opinions.  But we now have several photos, and can have fun and learn a great deal by experimenting to achieve a similar look.  Each stick of wood teaches us, too.

Here’s a doglock from Jack Brooks with a Sibley horn – I believe this was a Muzzle Blasts cover some years back.  Creating a good version of these long guns requires much study before beginning work, and Ken, Eric and others - I sure appreciate what we learn from your efforts.

Offline Pennsylvania Dutchman

« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2018, 10:32:38 PM »
Thanks for starting this thread, Bob. This is one of the best threads I've seen here!
Mark
Mark Poley

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2018, 12:39:12 AM »
Bob as requested here's  a few more pics of Joe Schell's version of Ivey's 194. I also own the Mark Silver version of the same rifle his of course is dolled up a little more.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 12:50:34 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #93 on: October 01, 2018, 12:47:22 AM »
Meant to send full length right side. Joe forged the bottom swivel link. We talked about doing it like a blacksmith would have done it.

Davemuzz

« Reply #94 on: October 01, 2018, 12:49:32 AM »
Very nice Sqrldog!!  Simple and elegant lines!!

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #95 on: October 01, 2018, 01:32:53 AM »
sqrldog:

Do you have a top view of Joe's Ivy 194 rifle showing the tang area....

Would like to see how he did that.

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 01:34:29 AM by Huntschool »
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

n stephenson

« Reply #96 on: October 01, 2018, 01:43:20 AM »
Bob, This is such a good thread! thanks for starting it. I think it is a great thing that so many really great builders are showing these nice simple pieces . Great stuff!!   MORE , MORE!!!       Thanks Nate

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #97 on: October 01, 2018, 01:43:30 AM »
Here's a shot of the tang.

pablo neruda famous works

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #98 on: October 01, 2018, 01:55:49 AM »
Here's an A. Martin Lehigh that finally inspired me to build a Lehigh. (only took 18 years to  get around to it) If I recall it was/is his personal hunting gun, .58 rifled and straight barreled. Took the pictures at F-ship probably in '00 give or take a couple years, did a tracing of it and squirreled it away for many years to help me make my own pattern.

NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Joe Schell

« Reply #99 on: October 01, 2018, 02:06:42 AM »

how to delete a vine account

This is my current rifle, a fairly plain 38 cal southern iron mounted gun
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 02:10:24 AM by Joe Schell »