Author Topic: June ALR Postal Shoot  (Read 14396 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
June ALR Postal Shoot
« on: June 02, 2020, 02:38:21 AM »
This month's match is another close range accuracy event.  A Bark the Squirrel target.

Ideally, squirrel calibres would be prefered, but I'll accept anything except bird shot.  Attached is the target, which you must download and print from your computers.  It fits nicely on an 8 1/2" x 11" standard letterhead sheet.
Submit up to three targets for score, best of the three will be of course be your competition entry.  So it doesn't have to be your first and only.
Range is 25 yards OFFHAND.
Five shots only per target...possible score 50...half ball rules...judge's decision is final.
I am offering one of my flint knapper/turnscrews for first prize, engraved with your name and the event's name.

There were thirteen entries for score in May's event...I'd like to see this plus a few more.

Let the fun begin!!

Taylor
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Online Maven

Re: June ALR Postal Shoot
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 01:22:35 AM »
I'm in, Taylor.  Printed out targets and am thinking up excuses as I write. (Sorry, but my smallest gun is a .50cal.)
Paul W. Brasky

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 01:46:16 AM »
'Ol "Muskrat" Mike accepts the challenge. I will use a .40 cal SMR. I have shot this target before. Much harder than it looks. Let the fun begin!
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 01:55:24 AM »
'Ol "Muskrat" Mike accepts the challenge. I will use a .40 cal SMR. I have shot this target before. Much harder than it looks. Let the fun begin!

I’m in on this one too. Duprey Soddy .36

Offline Oil Derek

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 05:51:21 AM »
Great target and I really appreciate the spirit of the match. That said, I likely won't submit a target as I only have .54 calibres. Doesn't seem right. Heck, swapping the numbers around still makes a mighty big squirrel ball.  ;D

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 06:03:38 AM »
Oil Derek,

A .54 will bark a squirrel real well!  Mine's a .58, unless I dig out my homemade barreled .44....  Maybe I should if I get time.

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 08:09:55 AM »
It's giving me flashbacks to the "nightmare".  Have never done well on that one.  :)
Mike Lee

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 08:21:07 AM »
Got my targets printed out for the weekend.  I'll probably shoot Saturday. Is the white part of the eye 5 or 10 points?

Offline Smokin dave

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 10:23:48 AM »
Might as well embarrass myself again.   I'll shoot my   Crocket .32.  Yee haw.

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 06:26:35 PM »
Nice to see the enthusiasm for this match.  I don't care what calibre you use as long as you enter the contest.  Be sure to post a picture of your target.  Daryl insists I use my Western PA Allison .25 cal.  I'll take him up on that for one of my targets.

The entire eye including the almond is 10 points.  The target is tricky...requires some strategy!  If you miss the eye ball, you drop five points right away.  Might be better to take your chances on the limb for 8 points.  You've got three chances, so have fun with this.

I've upgraded the prizes too...a knapping hammer for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.  I forged out the bits yesterday, and cut the heads, but ran out of fuel for my tanks...Thursday apparently, I'll be able to heat treat and attach the parts.  Now that I don't have a rifle on the bench, these accessories are fun.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 07:02:05 PM »
I expect I will attempt to bark him with the .69, .50 and .36. 3 targets.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline stymie

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2020, 08:50:29 PM »
great target always interesting, got some printed off for me and randy and anyone else I can get interested.

Offline Glenn Hurley Jr.

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2020, 11:15:25 PM »
Taylor, I wondered if you were going to shoot the Western PA squirrel rifle!  Those of us living in Western PA are looking forward to seeing your target!!

• Member 3
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2020, 11:29:52 PM »
Well I'm also excited to see how well I can do.  I don't shoot that rifle as well as some of my others, but I haven't really rung it out yet, either..  I'd like to see five eye ball shots!!

Taylor
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2020, 12:35:56 AM »
Well somebody has to be the first to get publicly embarrassed. No excuses for targets #1 & #3 perfect weather and light with just a very slight breeze. When I shot target number two the breeze had subsided but I think I just focused harder. When you are my age 68 this Friday and have the "old man" shakes it's harder and harder to shoot offhand like this. Won't take much to beat this score. I am submitting target #2. If you can't read the target I was using my beautiful Kibler SMR in .40 caliber. 40 grains of GOEX 3F using a .395 round ball .013 ticking and pure neatsfoot oil to lube.
Score on target #2 is 20 out of 50 possible. I figure this score will fall by the end of the day.

"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Online Maven

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2020, 01:10:20 AM »
Well, I shot mine today as well, Mike and let's just say the squirrel is still "living" (1 body shot though).  I'll post my dismal target tomorrow, but I intend to shoot it again with a different gun once I cast enough RB's for it.

I somehow "missed" targets #2 & 3, which may also explain why I missed the critter. ;)  Good shooting, Mike!

As promised, here's my submission:

« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 10:27:29 PM by Maven »
Paul W. Brasky

• Member 3
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2020, 07:02:04 AM »
Mike:  nice target #2!!.  Thanks for getting this off to a good start.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline snrub47

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2020, 12:20:55 AM »
My first attempt, good group but not much score (25). 36 cal flint, .358 ball, .016 coated patching, douglas barrel, 1-66, 50 gr, 2f. I'm blind so I use peep sights. My try for the 8's on the next one..

Online Maven

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2020, 01:46:54 AM »
Nothing wrong with that target, sn!
Paul W. Brasky

• Member 3
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2020, 02:37:23 AM »
Daryl and I went out and shot this target this afternoon.  We found it difficult.  The difficulty is with definition.  There's a lot going on that isn't good to shoot at and detracts from that which is....no real definite bull like a ten ring target.  But I was encouraged by Mike's target submission, so here's my first one.  I did shoot it with the Allegany Co. .25 cal rifle, 25 yards offhand.

I scored it a 35/50, as follows:  (10 x 2) + (5 x 3) = 35/50.  I concede the third 10 in the top of the eyeball as not being 1/2 ball in the 10 ring, so scores 5 instead.

snrub47:  really nice effort...try again.  I will accept three submissions.  I want to try a .40 cal next!
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Daryl

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2020, 04:06:33 AM »
Some good shooting guys, me, not so good.
I scored it +10.
Edited to present my excuse.
This was only the second time I have shot this rifle. It was not zero'd so took some drifting of sights and filing on the front
sight to get it somewhat zero'd.
On the other hand, this is the third time Taylor has shot his .25 - so - obviously, his advantage.
(that and he shoots better than I do) ::) (certainly, when offhand shooting is involved)

« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 04:51:18 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2020, 05:33:05 AM »
I have tried a couple of times but can't figure out how to print the target  :(   If I try and upload, it wants me to start an account ?    Is there a simple way to do this ?    [ I hate wasting solar power ! ]

Offline Daryl

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2020, 05:44:24 AM »
Bob - Mac or PC?
When Taylor first mailed it to me from his mac and with my PC,  I right clock on the picture, simply select 'save image as' - on my desk-stop.
The picture he has posted up above, does the same thing.
Daryl

Offline alacran

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2020, 02:51:20 PM »
Some good shooting guys, me, not so good.
I scored it +10.
Edited to present my excuse.
This was only the second time I have shot this rifle. It was not zero'd so took some drifting of sights and filing on the front
sight to get it somewhat zero'd.
On the other hand, this is the third time Taylor has shot his .25 - so - obviously, his advantage.
(that and he shoots better than I do) ::) (certainly, when offhand shooting is involved)

A man is only as good as his excuses. LOL
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2020, 03:48:02 PM »
Bob - Mac or PC?
When Taylor first mailed it to me from his mac and with my PC,  I right clock on the picture, simply select 'save image as' - on my desk-stop.
The picture he has posted up above, does the same thing.

I will print from my PC using a Brother printer.  My daughter is coming for a visit today, so I'll ask for her help.  :-[