Author Topic: Last of the Mohicans Killdeer Rifle  (Read 15065 times)

Offline Bigmon

Re: Last of the Mohicans Killdeer Rifle
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2024, 07:17:34 PM »
Gotta remenber to use that one!!

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2024, 01:13:08 AM »
This is so very interesting.  I must admit I have not time to read every post, but I have not seen any mention of a fella named Ron Luckenbull??  I may be wrong, and usually am, but I believe I was once told he made the rifle for that movie??
Could it have been a different movie?  There really are not that many movies of this type?
Anyone else have anything on Ron Luckenbill??
Great thread and I WILL read it all when I can.
I believe that Ron made the rifle for the Revenant movie

Offline Daryl

« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2024, 02:43:44 AM »
Yes he did, & then they butchered it. It was too heavy for the poor actor to carry.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2024, 02:50:18 AM »
Yea, that's it.  I knew it was something like that.  My mind been slipping!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2024, 08:19:29 PM »
As  I recall,it had a great musical score as well.Our oldest son really enjoyed it but never had any interest in muzzle loaders but shot BPCR at Ralph Marcum's.Opal's restaurant was a gathering place after shooting and I heard it's now closed.
Bob Roller

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2024, 05:19:13 PM »
I know that this has been asked before on the forum, but given that was years back, I would like to ask again..

Does anyone have any details surrounding the famous Killdeer Rifle used by DDL in the Last of the Mohicans movie?

I know that Wayne Watson made it, that it had a 50" barrel, and Lehigh esque stock. I also found that Knob Mountain Muzzleloading carries the pattern for it on their site.

Reading the forum post from years ago, it seems like there is some solid knowledge on the rifle here.

Anybody have opinions on the furniture used for the rifle? Or just general thoughts?

Thanks!
I don’t understand the fascination. Its a movie gun. It was a movie prop. It has very little in common with what is probably the only dated rifle of the era, the Schreit, which has some questions as well since it has been reworked apparently to make it look more like a “Kentucky” by someone. Like the rifles made for the movie Quigley Downunder, they have nothing to do with the era the movie is supposed to portray (rifle too early for Quigley rather than too late). In the case of “Last” its just what the uniformed wanted. In the case of “Quigley” it was Australian politics caused the time shift. Both are good movies, better than stuff from the 1930s-50s-60s. But still some time travel is involved in the rifles of both.
I used the Quigley because I KNOW about the “whys” involved.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 05:32:31 PM by Dphariss »
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2024, 05:23:54 PM »
Has anyone ever tried duplicating the Killdeer?
I wouldn't waste my time.

Thank you.   ;)
I am often too wordy. But then I dislike sound bites so…
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Ats5331

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2024, 06:05:24 PM »
I know that this has been asked before on the forum, but given that was years back, I would like to ask again..

Does anyone have any details surrounding the famous Killdeer Rifle used by DDL in the Last of the Mohicans movie?

I know that Wayne Watson made it, that it had a 50" barrel, and Lehigh esque stock. I also found that Knob Mountain Muzzleloading carries the pattern for it on their site.

Reading the forum post from years ago, it seems like there is some solid knowledge on the rifle here.

Anybody have opinions on the furniture used for the rifle? Or just general thoughts?

Thanks!
I don’t understand the fascination. Its a movie gun. It was a movie prop. It has very little in common with what is probably the only dated rifle of the era, the Schreit, which has some questions as well since it has been reworked apparently to make it look more like a “Kentucky” by someone. Like the rifles made for the movie Quigley Downunder, they have nothing to do with the era the movie is supposed to portray (rifle too early for Quigley rather than too late). In the case of “Last” its just what the uniformed wanted. In the case of “Quigley” it was Australian politics caused the time shift. Both are good movies, better than stuff from the 1930s-50s-60s. But still some time travel is involved in the rifles of both.
I used the Quigley because I KNOW about the “whys” involved.

To be fair, this was 3 and a half years ago….

It’s funny how this thread keeps coming back to life and I get criticized for just asking a simple question. Never built the rifle or pursued it, but was rather just a thought.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2024, 10:57:01 PM »
You have to accept that when you pick a scab off, you're going to get some bleeding.  Everyone who reads these posts has an interest in the subject, and a lot of folks just like to voice an observation or opinion.  From time to time, there is a pearl in the oyster, and you have to take the good with the less than good.  It's entirely possible that some of the conversation is not going to fit with your concept of the subject, and may even offend you.  But you have to accept that that is the nature of a discussion, and just deal with it. It is pointless to get huffy and defensive because of human nature.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline L.H. Smoke Pole

• Starting Member
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2024, 12:21:55 AM »
98% of the shootout's  in the Old West was because someone got their feelings hurt

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2024, 01:54:13 AM »
Hey Bigmon,  Yea, I did build a couple of rifles for the Revenant Movie which Leonardo DeCaprio won an Oscar for.   I ended up building 17 copies of that same rifle after the movie.  I understand why Wayne was reluctant to keep building copies, especially if you don't like the movie in the first place. You can see photos of the rifle on my old web site www.ReCreatingHistory.    That rifle was based on an original that I photographed at the KRA show when it was at Mars, PA.  I stopped building commercially since my wife's Parkinsons requires much of my time.   I still build when I get time for therapy and am up to number 417 now.    Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2024, 03:45:48 AM »
Ron,
I still love my copy of the Revenant rifle you built several years ago and so glad you built them after an original rifle instead of a conglomeration of some Hollywood directors unfounded and un-researched ideas. Very sorry to hear about your wife’s medical issues but I’m sure she is in great hands with your loving care. Great to hear you are still keeping your skills tuned by building when you can. Good luck and prayers are with you all.
elkhorne

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2024, 02:08:53 PM »
Ro. Did the Revnent gun (s)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?