Author Topic: Pinewood Derby Soddy Daisy  (Read 18594 times)

Offline Daniel Coats

Pinewood Derby Soddy Daisy
« on: April 25, 2021, 02:57:18 AM »
I decided to build a pine stock blank  for my upcoming Soddy project. The purpose being to work out some design features and brainstorm a few things in advance. My 48 inch Rice barrel is out for delivery as I write this and I can start the layout process. Bob Roller triggers and walnut stock blank from Allen Martin are due next week. Kibler lock is on order and should arrive in about 3 weeks. My iron for hand forged hardware is on hand so I can start that soon.

Anyway thought I would share my project kickoff.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 04:35:35 PM by Daniel Coats »
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Daryl

Re: Pinewood Derby Soddy Daisy
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 04:24:55 AM »
Best wishes with this build, Danniel. It will be quite interesting to follow, if you are so inclined to include us on the journey.
Please Do.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 12:26:26 AM »
Today's pictures of my blank that's headed towards being a template maybe. None of my parts are here yet so this is just a rough idea of what I think my Soddy is going to look like. Learned a lot today including how to cut a straight line with a cross cut saw. Specifications are 13 1/4 inch pull three and a half inch drop 5-in butt plate and a comb line that angles above the top of the barrel by one quarter inch. Things that catch my eye that need improvement are the wrist area which needs to be more rounded and the bottom of the toe brought up a little bit. Stock seems to fit me so I'm pretty happy with it so far before I move on to Walnut. Comments and thoughts are welcome.

Dan

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 02:48:28 AM »
I've never seen a gun built in this manner before. Interesting indeed. :)
Daryl

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 03:07:16 AM »
Thanks Daryl, I haven't seen one built this way either but seems like it could work and fit me which is the plan. One feature I didn't mention is when the butt plate heel and toe are touching the ground the barrel stands vertical. I've only built a half dozen or so rifles from a blank and all were copies of existing rifles that I simply traced the outline. When my parts arrive I'm going to sand all the lines off and lay out again now that I know the basic outline. The actual barrel is smaller so I think when I drop it down some my wrist problem will correct itself. Ramrod is currently drawn oversize as well.
Dan

Offline duca

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 12:39:25 PM »
Excellent! seems well planned. Looking forward to watching your build

Anthony   
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 01:11:07 PM »
I've never seen a gun built in this manner before. Interesting indeed. :)

I have!  Pretty much anyone who has used some of the super-curly 'maple' that DGW used to sell.  "Curly pine."  :P :P :P
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 03:20:26 PM »
So it sounds like your basically making a “try stock” to test orientation and personal fit.

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 04:18:10 PM »
So it sounds like your basically making a “try stock” to test orientation and personal fit.

Yep you nailed it. Also trying to color inside the lines of the Soddy Daisy school if there is such a thing. This is why my try stock does not have an adjustable pull but is still close to what I know will work for me.

Started out with a 1x10x6' #2 pine board from Home Depot laid out with a sheetrock square then cut into two pieces and then glued together with tight bond glue and held together with sheetrock screws while the glue dried.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 04:31:21 PM by Daniel Coats »
Dan

Offline Dwshotwell

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2021, 04:26:27 PM »
This seems like a great approach and I can personally see it taking some of the trepidation out of moving from a pre-carve stock to building from a blank. A trial run on construction - grade pine would take some of the stress out of diving into a nice piece of curly maple.

NOW, if you can actually make proper inlets in pine construction lumber, you are indeed a master woodworker / gunsmith... I've tried to cut dovetails in regular pine boards to make a toolbox and they looked like a kindergartner attempted it with a dull chainsaw.
David Shotwell

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2021, 04:32:33 PM »
  Daniel try an make it to the Tennessee show in Knoxville.
 Their will be an original that you can check out.
  Pictures don't always show the small characters that we sometimes miss.   Oldtravler

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2021, 04:45:31 PM »
  Daniel try an make it to the Tennessee show in Knoxville.
 Their will be an original that you can check out.
  Pictures don't always show the small characters that we sometimes miss.   Oldtravler

I wanted to go but have a conflict with my granddaughters wedding.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 05:39:12 PM by Daniel Coats »
Dan

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2021, 06:26:02 PM »
In thinking about the lay of the barrel (vertical), could it be the heel is a bit far forward?
Daryl

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2021, 07:57:03 PM »
In thinking about the lay of the barrel (vertical), could it be the heel is a bit far forward?

Looks like it could be from the picture. That's why I'm sanding all the marks off and laying out again with the actual parts when they arrive. Good catch and thanks for the input!
Dan

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2021, 09:42:11 PM »
Pleasure trying to help out!
Now I know the stock is far from finished, but there appears barely an inch drop at point of the comb as well. Finished, this might only be 1 1/8" or so.
Will that be enough, or a real cheek cracker, especially with the current pitch.   Actually, at the middle of the cheek-piece, it looks like it might be fine, however
that might depend on whether you stock crawl or not. Something else to ponder over, perhaps?
Daryl

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2021, 01:07:06 AM »
Thanks Daryl I'm not noticing a problem the way I hold it. You're spot on though and I need to sort that out on the try stock. USPS is still late on delivering my barrel. Tiggers arrived today though so that's a nice start!
Dan

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2021, 01:16:26 AM »
Made a extra long ramrod drill today on my lunch break. Started with a 48-in long chunk of 5/16 rod and cut a half section out of it to match the same cut on the drill bit and then riveted it all together. Seems stable enough to drill that short section in the four end. I'll still think about it between now and when I need it and may take it to a welding shop. You can see the splice at about the 45-in mark on the sheetrock square.

My plan is to use a brace and bit to use this drill bit so there's not going to be a lot of torque from a power drill. Really want to use hand tools on this project as much as possible. Just bought an antique wood plane and some antique hand chisels made in England that arrived today.

Dan

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2021, 02:20:41 PM »
Looks like you are locked and loaded for when all the parts get there.  Good luck with the build.  I'm waiting myself.  The hardest part of a new build.  Drill rod looks good!

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2021, 02:32:24 PM »
  My stock is coming along ok. It's that butt plate that bugs me.
Made three so far. Not happy with any of them.
 Heading to Jack's today. Will let the master take a look at them.
  Oldtravler

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2021, 04:11:46 PM »
I'm fine with pictures from other peoples work in progress for a Soddy build. I wouldn't consider it a thread hijacking and it would probably help to share ideas.
Dan

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2021, 04:25:18 PM »
  My stock is coming along ok. It's that butt plate that bugs me.
Made three so far. Not happy with any of them.
 Heading to Jack's today. Will let the master take a look at them.
  Oldtravler

I have a theory that I'm going to try for my first Soddy butt plate. This is how it might work out, at least at 2:00 in the morning when I can't sleep it sounds good!

Layout the stock profile and cut the round out portion for the curve. Forge just the plate that fits there for now and fit to the curve, if I like it screw it in place. Make the toe plate and rivet it to the butt plate already in place and use screws for the front portion. Shape the top of the stock comb close to the final profile including final shaping of the butt plate, forge the top of the butt plate and screw it in place and also rivet the end similar to the bottom of the butt plate. The whole process would be forging a three piece assembly in place on the stock. Take the whole thing off now and braze the three pieces together. Should be a perfect fit going back on and now do the final shaping of the stock with the butt plate assembly on the gun.

Dan

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2021, 10:22:54 PM »
USPS had my barrel out for delivery for 4 days but it arrived finally. Man is she loooong and skinnnny!
Dan

Offline Clint

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2021, 05:25:49 AM »
Your butt plate idea sounds feasable but don't rivet it together on the stock. Drill it , thread it and put it together with a # 8 screw. Dry fit it back onto the stock before you braze it, you may reconsider brazing the toe plate. After the tang is brazed , take the screw out and rivet it. Good chance the screw will braze in and become the rivet, so make sure you are pre counter sunk etc.

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2021, 11:15:29 PM »
Clint, thanks for your helpful insight on butt plate and toe plate construction. I really appreciate it!
Dan

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2021, 11:20:11 PM »
Adjusted the drop on the try stock today and cleaned up the lines some. I will clean up and adjust one more time after my Kibler lock arrives in a few days.
Here's today's pictures showing the adjusted stock and the beautiful walnut blank that arrived today from Allen Martin!

« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 04:34:45 PM by Daniel Coats »
Dan