Author Topic: January Postal Match  (Read 5686 times)

Offline alacran

January Postal Match
« on: January 03, 2022, 03:58:25 PM »
By popular demand we will have a January stand-alone shoot.
The target can be found in the NMLRA website, under downloads. It is their Feb 2020 target.
The rules are 5 shots at 25 yards. Any position, Standing, Sitting, Kneeling, or Prone. No benches or Cross-Sticks.
Any hits on the Colonial Cherub equals minus 10 points.
Rifle or Smooth bore.
Shoot as many as you want. If it is posted, it will be considered an entry.
Enjoy!

A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
Re: January Postal Match
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 04:18:50 PM »
To make a shoot fair the shooting position should be the same for everybody. The prone position has a big advantage over any other position. It's as steady as using a bench.

The problem is not everybody can do it. I won't whine about medical problems but i'll just say I can't shoot any position but offhand. That's the extreme but i'm sure some old guys here can't shoot prone and maybe not kneeling either.

The competition should be the other shooters. Not the rules. No matter how hard of easy the shoot is. It should be the same for everybody.

I'm not shooting this shoot. I won't be ready for it but if I was shooting i'd skip it. I have no chance to win no matter what but I like to at least know it's fair for everybody.

I plan to enter postal shoots on another forum besides this one. It's always 25yds and offhand. That's how it should be. 25 yds for those without good vision and offhand because it takes the most skill and everybody can do it unless they can't stand and they get an exemption to shoot sitting. (wheelchair)

Just an old coots opinion.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 04:34:13 PM »
I like the target   :)   I didn't have any time at all to shoot the Dec match, although I wanted to. Dec was filled with getting firewood, hunting, preparing  for winter, and suffering through crazy weather .   Best wishes to all for a happy, heathy, and prosperous 2022 .   

Offline alacran

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 05:47:41 PM »
Good to see you are still with us Mountain Man.
Last month the rules allowed for bench or offhand.
The shoot is not really a competition against other shooters. You should be shooting against yourself.
I did forget to mention, the winner will not be receiving a BMW.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 07:00:51 PM »
No BMW!!!

$#*!, i'm not shooting!

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 07:46:20 PM »
Good target I havent shot one of these events yet but if I can get through the snow out at my cabin I will give it a go from any position other than rest. I hope off hand off my walker is ok. Gotta find a snow blower guy first.  ;D :)

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2022, 08:07:03 PM »
Looks fine to me. I will get some printed and show you all how poorly an old man can shoot.
If I can make a suggestion limit the number of targets. Some can only get to a range a couple of times in a month, while some just step out on the back porch and can bang away every day.
I am not grousing but I would think a limit of 5 targets is plenty, but hey it's your match and I am glad to shoot in it.
By the way I don't want no stinking automatic in my BMW I want a gearbox or I will return it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 08:19:53 PM by MuskratMike »
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2022, 08:38:29 PM »
How about a winner for the worse score?

I have a chance at that one.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2022, 09:44:46 PM »
Pete that is not as crazy as it may sound.  For years, I sponsored a primitive archery contest at the BC Rendezvous, and gave away a dozen hand made primitive arrows with stone points hand knapped my yours truly, hand split wild turkey feathers and sinew lashings.  I gave 1st, 2nd, and third in three divisions based on gender and age, and I gave a arrow to the worst score and the median score.  Sometimes I gave an arrow to the prettiest woman or the person who travelled the furthest.  No one can say I will ever die of mad cow's disease, 'cause I'm a pig!
I think we gave up on giving prizes at these monthly postal matches, because of the burden of the cost of shipping.  So no more BMW's or Lexis's.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2022, 10:07:36 PM »
Well, lets have a lowest score by the ugliest shooter. The ugly will break up the ties.

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2022, 10:22:05 PM »
In the end, it's up to alacran ... it's his well earned match.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2022, 10:26:58 PM »
Just joking around. I don't expect rules to be changed. I'll always shoot offhand if it fits into the rules.

I need a few months to get all I need to shoot.

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2022, 10:33:16 PM »
Daryl and I need the temperature to get up somewhere tolerable...ie:  around freezing.  Snowing hard again today...
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2022, 11:35:46 PM »
I used to love the cold. I wouldn't mind 12 months of summer now.

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2022, 11:55:53 PM »
Taylor....I would love a few of those arrows you made...they must look beautiful. They would go good with my welshman 74 inch Yew English Self bow

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2022, 12:49:14 AM »
Most would be too lightly spined Nessmuck. They are beautiful, though. We, my wife and I, have a few of these prizes. Some years, they had stone, flint or obsidian points, other years
steel. There will no no sitting, kneeling or prone shooting up here.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 12:57:18 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2022, 03:39:45 AM »
Most would be too lightly spined Nessmuck. They are beautiful, though. We, my wife and I, have a few of these prizes. Some years, they had stone, flint or obsidian points, other years
steel. There will no no sitting, kneeling or prone shooting up here.

Very nice ! I’ll take 1/2 dozen of the arrows with the white chert….in 45-50 spine weight….lol

Offline alacran

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2022, 03:32:32 PM »
Looks fine to me. I will get some printed and show you all how poorly an old man can shoot.
If I can make a suggestion limit the number of targets. Some can only get to a range a couple of times in a month, while some just step out on the back porch and can bang away every day.
I am not grousing but I would think a limit of 5 targets is plenty, but hey it's your match and I am glad to shoot in it.
By the way I don't want no stinking automatic in my BMW I want a gearbox or I will return it.
[/quote
That would be the same as saying you can only shoot one target. Unenforceable, would a practice target also count?  I only shot one target for score in the December match. But I did shoot at totally different target first since I was trying out different patch material. All I had time for.
Thought about having 4 targets shot from each position. However, I know that some of us can't get prone without a crane to get us back up. Rules are simple just have fun with them.

Offline coopersdad

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2022, 12:47:36 AM »
I've never shot one of these matches, so figured it was time.  I managed to mess up immediately, somehow downloading the wrong target.  It is missing the ring around the X, as well as the scoring numbers, but otherwise it appears the same.  No idea how I did that.

Anyway, it was a nice sunny day, about 45.  I shot three targets, all standing.  Clearly I need work on my offhand shooting, but was getting better as I went along.  This was a fun target. 

.50 caliber flint, .490 Hornady ball, 65 gr. 3F Goex, .018 denim patch, spit. 

Mike Westcott

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2022, 01:43:52 AM »
Well done, Mike, That 3rd target looks like it has an X.
To me, they look like: 44, 46, 46 1X. Well done. I am hoping Taylor and I can get out to shoot it Mon or Tues.
Daryl

Offline coopersdad

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2022, 02:35:02 AM »
Thanks Daryl.  I was scoring them as over half the ball needed to be in the scoring area, not just touching the ring.  I'm used to scoring where if it touches it counts, so maybe  I scored it wrong. I thought it was an X until I saw the proper target, where the X ring is the same size as the X.  It's an X if it counts touching, but not if it has to be half a ball. 
Mike Westcott

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2022, 02:41:46 AM »
Yeah - you're right - it's not quite in 1/2 way, maybe 1/4? There is a curvature of the line between the tops of the lines and the next one,
of course.
-20 right now, -27 (-16.5F) with wind chill. Still a mite too chilly for us seniors. Supposed to be above freezing by 1 or 2 degrees by Tuesday.
Daryl

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2022, 04:30:52 AM »
Now that the polar express has come and gone it has been replaced with well above freezing temperatures and heavy, heavy rain. All this is causing flooding and making it all a mess. Should be better next week and if not by the 3rd week I will get out and embarrass myself for all your viewing enjoyment.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2022, 05:39:44 AM »
Looking forward to THAT company, Mike.
Daryl

Offline alacran

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2022, 04:49:36 PM »
Good shooting Coopersdad.  You are correct in the scoring, half ball rule.
Hopefully the weather will improve, and we get more entries.