Author Topic: Jaeger rifle stock options?  (Read 8584 times)

Offline Nailcreek

Re: Jaeger rifle stock options?
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2022, 03:37:12 AM »
Really enjoying this thread ... great work!

Offline Jakob

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2022, 11:27:07 PM »
Lock work is still in progress. (still filing away), but I took a small detour to test something that I think will make a big difference to the final look.
The original has iron mounting with lots of gold inlay. I have brass mounts, but especially as I intent to keep it fairly bright, I was concerned about it looking too yellow...and I wanted to get closer to the original if possible.
 I don't have the skills to do inlay and I toyed with the idea of using silver leaf or maybe even keum-bo, but neither will really stand up to be handled and aren't easy to do that precise either. I then started looking at various plating solutions. Most diy solutions were too pricey/complex for a 1-off experiment, but then I found this:
https://goldensolution.co.uk/collections/silver-plating-solution-cyanide-free/products/silver-plating-solution-100ml

Confirmed with the owner that I could use nail varnish for masking and ordered solution + wand (I have bench power supply already).
Experimented on a piece of scrap first to get the voltage right (3.0v in my case, 3.2v was turning it grey) and then masked up the entrypipe, as this would be the easiest to clean up, should it all go wrong.

But..it didn't!

The pictures don't really do it justice, but I'm very happy with this. Need to test durability, etc, but after masking it up, it's literally 5 minutes work, dunk it in acetone and wipe off the mask and done.
The only thing I want to differently next time is to find a less viscous and slower drying nail varnish. I'll probably pop into one of the nearby nail salons and ask...if nothing else, it'll be worth it for the reaction.

Edit:
I should just be able to use basic hobby style enamel paint. It'll have a much better consistency and drying time for this and should be easily removable with acetone too.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 02:23:12 AM by Jakob »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2022, 03:52:24 PM »
Did you do the sculpting on this pipe?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Jakob

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2022, 07:22:43 PM »
Hah, I wish. No, it's a casting from Ron Scott.

Offline Jakob

« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2022, 09:36:51 AM »
So, with a rather drastic job change and relocation, everything ground to halt a week or so ago and I wont pick it up again until I've found a new place and sorted out some sort of work space.  Worst case, I'll make a small bench for the kitchen or something.
Before that, I did make good progress on the lock.

This is what I started with:

And this is where I am now:

Still some clean-up work to do, but it's close.

If nothing, the move will give me a break from filing and boy, did I need that.

Offline Nailcreek

« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2022, 04:04:39 AM »
Beautiful work  :D

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2022, 06:55:25 AM »
I've usually found good results with gilding - using 24K gold leaf.  You can use the sizing to determine where the gold leaf will stick, and it is reasonably permanent.  Supplies are available at most jewelry supply stores.  You WILL need a squirrel-hair brush to pick up and place little "scraps" of the gold leaf.
Sizing is the adhesive that the ultra-thin gold adheres to.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Nailcreek

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2022, 04:40:35 PM »
Any updates to share?

Offline Jakob

« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2022, 08:23:56 AM »
I'm *almost* ready to build a new work bench. Hopefully get started on it this weekend.  As I'm now in a smaller apartment, this will take some careful planning and I've also lost access to workshops with handy tools (table saws, planer, jointer, etc), so it'll all have to be done with a handsaw and a crappy old plane.

I'll just be using 8x2 construction lumber and probably take me a couple of weeks.

Still debating whether to use normal bench dogs on top, T-tracks or micro-jig tracks.

Offline Jakob

« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2024, 06:08:11 AM »
Since a couple of people have recently asked, yes this is still ongoing and slowly creeping towards the finish line.
Working on finalizing the area around wrist/lock/side panels and comb.
Forestock needs a final pass as well, but is pretty close.
Plenty of mistakes were made a long the way, but I think I managed to work my way around most of them.
Still plenty of opportunities to screw this up, but this weekend was a bit of a breakthrough, as I could start to see the final shape of the gun.

Next gun will be a lot simpler!