Author Topic: Let's see your squirrel rifle!!!  (Read 352863 times)

Offline Don Adams

Re: Let's see your squirrel rifle!!!
« Reply #125 on: February 15, 2015, 06:12:00 PM »
There are some awesome squirrel rifles on this thread!

Offline Pat_Cameron

« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2015, 04:15:35 AM »
There are some awesome squirrel rifles on this thread!

Gotta love squirrel rifles.
Maybe my all time favorite thread.

PJC
AMERICAN LONGHUNTER
Seasoned woodsmen that depend on skill and knowledge to lead them to a successful hunt rather than the crutch of modern technology

http://www.americanlonghunter.com

Offline TDW

• AF&AM, DORIC LODGE #53, Past Master
« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2015, 06:25:15 PM »
I'm with you, Pat !!
   My favorite day in the woods will always include a long, light, flint small bore. Many times I don't even bother to shoot! I always come home from a squirrel hunt feeling refreshed and stress free. My wife refers to it as "Squirrel Therapy" and pretty much pushes me out of the house  ;)

Keep 'em coming, Gentlemen !!
Tom W.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 10:04:48 PM by TDW »

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #128 on: February 17, 2015, 05:29:59 PM »
Okay, last one from me. I made this for my wife about thirteen years ago. A petite woman, so a petite rifle. She no longer shoots, but allows me to use it on occasion ;D. Bails lock, home grown black cherry and a GM, .32, 42" barrel, german silver furniture. I do remember going through a full pack of jewelers saw blades cutting out the patch box, I Think I have gotten a little better with that tool since then. Oh yeah, it is a real shooter!!!!!
Robby

« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 05:28:35 AM by Dennis Glazener »
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2015, 05:36:54 PM »
Nice rifle Robby.
iloco

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #130 on: February 17, 2015, 09:39:43 PM »
The word "exquisite" comes to mind.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #131 on: February 18, 2015, 01:09:21 AM »
It falls short of a lot of the ones I've seen on this site and it ain't quite PC but it sure does shoot.

Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #132 on: February 18, 2015, 03:59:12 AM »
Wobblyshot what caliber is that Tennessee rifle?  Very sharp looking.  Good shooting too!

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #133 on: February 18, 2015, 04:55:45 PM »
It's a 32. The load that produced that target was 25 grs goex 3fg, ticking patched Hornady "0" buck, ballistol water mix for lube, and prime with null B. That target represents probably the best I've ever shot group wise at 25 yards.

The rifle was put together mostly by a friend because I didn't have time to do it myself. I ended up tweeking the stock shape and applying the finish. It has some age on it. If I'm remembering correctly the barrel is a Montana 13/16" straight sided. The stock was a pre-carve Pecatonica second that I dug out of the pile at Friendship. The triggers are Davis and it's a Siler small lock kit that I put together myself. Overall' it's a very fun gun to shoot.

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #134 on: February 18, 2015, 10:58:18 PM »
You weren't joking when you said it could shoot!

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #135 on: February 19, 2015, 02:51:47 AM »
I am hoping a builder that I have used before will be able to build me a nice Tennessee or Southern Mountain rifle in 40 cal - "A" weight barrel - either 42 or 44 inches.  He has been very ill since the beginning of November. Out of respect, I can't say what is wrong with him, but he is on the slow mend.  I don't know if he will be able to build rifles again or not.  I am afraid to even ask him if he will be able to build again.  It would be a shame if he is no long able to, as he is only in his 50's and has been building muzzleloaders for over 30 years.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #136 on: February 19, 2015, 07:28:04 PM »
It's a 32. The load that produced that target was 25 grs goex 3fg, ticking patched Hornady "0" buck, ballistol water mix for lube, and prime with null B. That target represents probably the best I've ever shot group wise at 25 yards.

The rifle was put together mostly by a friend because I didn't have time to do it myself. I ended up tweeking the stock shape and applying the finish. It has some age on it. If I'm remembering correctly the barrel is a Montana 13/16" straight sided. The stock was a pre-carve Pecatonica second that I dug out of the pile at Friendship. The triggers are Davis and it's a Siler small lock kit that I put together myself. Overall' it's a very fun gun to shoot.

Really good, Wobblyshot looks great!  How's it shoot off a rest at 50yards?

I found my 38", .32 would do similar to yours above, at 25 yards using a mere 20gr. 2f, however at 50yards, that load opened to about 2 1/2". In order to tighten the group at 50 using the same lube, patch and ball, I had to increase the load to 35gr. at which it would put 5 into 1 inch, but no better. Increasing the load further opened the group, decreasing the load from 35gr. opened the group. I found that merely using 35gr. all the time, solved the accuracy problems at longer ranges. I also had to increase to 40gr. for an oiled or greased patch to maintain accuracy and that did well on the 100yard targets too. Just have to listen carefully for the "tink".  That little 42gr. ball does not make much noise when it hits a heavy steel target.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #137 on: February 19, 2015, 08:16:19 PM »
I am hoping a builder that I have used before will be able to build me a nice Tennessee or Southern Mountain rifle in 40 cal - "A" weight barrel - either 42 or 44 inches.  He has been very ill since the beginning of November. Out of respect, I can't say what is wrong with him, but he is on the slow mend.  I don't know if he will be able to build rifles again or not.  I am afraid to even ask him if he will be able to build again.  It would be a shame if he is no long able to, as he is only in his 50's and has been building muzzleloaders for over 30 years.

Don,

Just a thought on the "A" profile barrel.  They're nice and light (e.g., Rice "Squirrel Barrels") to carry in the woods all day for hunting.  However, an "A" profile barrel in .40 caliber is pretty light and some people like a little more weight out there for steady off-hand target shooting.  On the other hand, some people do just fine with a very light barrel on a target rifle. 

I want to build a Gillespie rifle with a .40 caliber, 44" barrel but I find a "B" profile in that caliber hangs steadier for me for off-hand shooting.  It's all a matter of personal preference.  I don't know how you intend to primarily use the rifle or if you're in the heavier barreled or lighter barreled off-hand target rifle camp, but it's something to think about.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #138 on: February 19, 2015, 10:29:17 PM »
I agree, moleeyes36.  My .40 has a "B" weight barrel and hangs rather well even though it's only 38".  And it's still an easy-to-carry rifle in the woods.

wes k

« Reply #139 on: February 19, 2015, 11:20:54 PM »

My .32
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 05:31:02 AM by Dennis Glazener »

caddo

« Reply #140 on: February 19, 2015, 11:49:44 PM »
Nice Wes K

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #141 on: February 20, 2015, 01:00:37 AM »
I guess a "B" weight in a 40 caliber would hold better.  I know my .32 Tennessee rifle, straight barrel - 13/16 across the flats holds really nice. You are right about a little weight forward holds better for me.  I would mostly be using it for wood walks and small game.  I don't have a photobucket account or I would post pictures of my .32.  If someone would like to post them for me, I would email some pictures of it.

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #142 on: February 20, 2015, 03:02:08 AM »

Really good, Wobblyshot looks great!  How's it shoot off a rest at 50yards?

I found my 38", .32 would do similar to yours above, at 25 yards using a mere 20gr. 2f, however at 50yards, that load opened to about 2 1/2". In order to tighten the group at 50 using the same lube, patch and ball, I had to increase the load to 35gr. at which it would put 5 into 1 inch, but no better. Increasing the load further opened the group, decreasing the load from 35gr. opened the group. I found that merely using 35gr. all the time, solved the accuracy problems at longer ranges. I also had to increase to 40gr. for an oiled or greased patch to maintain accuracy and that did well on the 100yard targets too. Just have to listen carefully for the "tink".  That little 42gr. ball does not make much noise when it hits a heavy steel target.

The barrel on mine is 42" and 20gr just doesn't seem to get it....more of a poof than the crack it makes with 25gr. Most of my shooting is offhand and all I can say is that when I call a shot at 50 yards and then look through the spotting scope it's where I think it should be. At 100 yards I'll bump the charge up to 35gr and on a calm day I feel that if I'm on my game I could keep them all in the black. That doesn't happen very often, however.  ;D

Offline little joe

« Reply #143 on: February 20, 2015, 06:18:34 AM »
Wobblyshot  Was the crow target shot off hand?

Vomitus

« Reply #144 on: March 06, 2015, 11:09:59 PM »
    Has anyone built a squirrel rifle around a Bucks Co. platform? 

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #145 on: March 07, 2015, 01:52:15 AM »
    Has anyone built a squirrel rifle around a Bucks Co. platform? 

Allen Martin built me this Bucks Co Schimmel. 

This piece is VERY slim.  Tom Snyder picked it up and said, "Allen didn't leave an oz of extra wood, did he."  (.40 cal Getz barrel 44" long)

Regards,
Pletch
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 05:32:53 AM by Dennis Glazener »
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline LH

« Reply #146 on: March 07, 2015, 04:08:04 AM »
fine looking rifle Pletch 8)  I don't think I've ever seen a rifle I thought was too slender,  but I've seen a lot that are too chunky out front.   

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #147 on: March 07, 2015, 09:36:08 PM »
These are all some very fine looking rifles! Very jealous!!

~Tony

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #148 on: March 07, 2015, 10:20:15 PM »
More!  More!  More!........

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #149 on: March 13, 2015, 10:57:46 PM »
Got my 40 caliber Early Va Rifle today.  Built by Joe Schell.  It has a Rice 44 inch A weight barrel.  Chambers lock with Davis triggers.  Patchbox hand made by Joe.  Can;t wait for the rain to stop so can shoot it.
 It is the first rifle showing on Joes blog here.  http://joeschell.blogspot.com/

What loads do you that shoot 40's use.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 10:58:26 PM by iloco »
iloco