Author Topic: Let's see your squirrel rifle!!!  (Read 352888 times)

Offline Skychief

Re: Let's see your squirrel rifle!!!
« Reply #775 on: January 11, 2020, 11:24:56 PM »
I'm seeing them Robby.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #776 on: January 12, 2020, 02:58:20 AM »
They are gone for me to. Went back to page 1 and 2 text is still there but the pictures are gone.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Skychief

« Reply #777 on: January 12, 2020, 09:04:06 AM »
I'm sorry that I didn't check far enough back earlier.  The photos are by and large gone.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #778 on: January 12, 2020, 03:21:53 PM »
What happened to all the pictures? Are they gone forever?
Robby

I just looked at a couple and it's the same problem we had with the Bruce Miller library photos the URL's need to change from http: to https: I will try to edit them as soon as I have some time can't do it today. I just found out the tutorials have the same problem. Forgot all about them when we were updating the library photos.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #779 on: January 12, 2020, 04:21:27 PM »
Thanks Dennis!!! This has been one of the most enjoyable threads on the site, for me anyway.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #780 on: January 12, 2020, 08:20:32 PM »
Dennis: you could save a lot of time by deleting the post send out a message to everyone and ask all to repost our pictures. No one would object and most would love to show our latest squirrel rifles.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #781 on: January 13, 2020, 05:20:34 AM »
Dennis: you could save a lot of time by deleting the post send out a message to everyone and ask all to repost our pictures. No one would object and most would love to show our latest squirrel rifles.
After the 1000's of URL's these have updated these should not be a problem. If folks want to show new ones that fine. Just be sure the URL's are https: http: will not display.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #782 on: January 15, 2020, 05:59:12 AM »
Ok just finished repairing the URL's, many of the photos are still there but domevhavd been removed. I can't do anything about the removed ones.
Dennis

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #783 on: February 17, 2020, 07:30:54 AM »
Ok just finished repairing the URL's...I can't do anything about the removed ones.
Dennis

Thanks Dennis!

The last time I went back to the beginning to scroll through these I gave up after a few pages.  I'll give it another run now.
Hold to the Wind

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #784 on: February 17, 2020, 07:47:48 AM »

Offline Brian cox

• Starting Member
« Reply #785 on: February 17, 2020, 05:47:06 PM »
Jim Chambers Early York kit rifle built by Jack Garner. 40 cal, Getz swamped barrel.

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #786 on: February 18, 2020, 01:04:17 AM »
I like these squirrel rifles!
Rob

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #787 on: February 19, 2020, 03:48:56 AM »
Nothing in the same league as some of the fine pieces shared here... Just a Pedersoli .32 Kentucky. But it kills squirrels when my schedule, squirrel season, and the weather manage to mesh up.

Mike

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #788 on: February 20, 2020, 12:33:12 AM »
If it works for you, don't knock it.  They are fine shooters.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #789 on: February 20, 2020, 01:20:46 AM »
My best friend is Joe Bogle, 5th great grandson of Joseph Bogle of the Bogle rifle fame. When the original Bogle rifle was at the Tn show at the Museum of Appalachia Joe photographed it in detail, took all the measurements and started making his own Bogle rifles.

He looked for someone to forge the mounts for him but the cost was astronomical, he set up an old BBQ grill with a heat gun for a blower and started beating on metal. One of our friends who was a professional blacksmith gave him some tips on the copper rivets and joining pieces together and soon he was forging some pretty good mounts.

His first rifle was flint, then he made a bunch of percussion guns because that what the guys he made them for wanted.

I had done a little favor for him and stopped by for a visit the other day to deliver some greens to him. As we were talking he said he had something for me, he reached behind the TV and pulled out one of his Bogle rifles, put it in my lap and said "I want you to have this".

I was speechless to say the least, I had wanted one of his guns for a long time but didn't want to trouble him about it. He is a very busy guy, always doing for others, the most selfless man I have ever met.

So, I have a new squirrel rifle, one with the sights far enough down the barrel so I can actually see them, I have a stable full of flintlocks but can't see the sights on any of the ones I have built.

The rifle is .40 with 44" A weight barrel and balances like a dream for me, SQUIRRELS BEWARE, I AM COMING AFTER YOU. Our season runs up into March here so I have a little more time.

The last picture is Joe with the original bogle rifle.

upload image

« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 04:55:29 PM by Eric Krewson »

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #790 on: February 20, 2020, 02:43:28 PM »
Wow Eric. Nice rifle and better story. Just what I needed to read before finishing my last cup of Joe and heading out to feed the livestock. Awesome.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #791 on: February 21, 2020, 12:23:22 AM »
That's a keepsake for sure. Good for Joe.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #792 on: February 21, 2020, 04:11:30 AM »
Eric, that is fantastic. Good for you.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #793 on: February 21, 2020, 04:39:08 AM »
Very nice, Eric! Even though it’s a percussion gun and not flint, you can’t argue with a free gun!

Offline Skychief

« Reply #794 on: February 21, 2020, 06:45:44 AM »
That's great Eric!

Thanks for reminding me that I need new friends.

Offline heelerau

« Reply #795 on: February 22, 2020, 12:41:21 AM »
What a lovely bloke, and a great story. A ver personal gift, and a  lovely rifle too.   Give those squirrels joe blazes !
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #796 on: February 22, 2020, 11:46:42 PM »
That was a very generous thing for him to do; you have a true friend.  The closest I've come is receiving a free $$ INVOICE from a gun builder.  :(
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #797 on: February 23, 2020, 12:49:02 PM »
I'm not sure why but for some reason the pictures I posted a month ago of my one squirrel rifle, a .32 Crockett, had become two pictures, one of my trade gun and the other my .600 Lancaster. Maybe I posted them and didn't notice? Anyway, in case you've never seen a Crockett rifle in .32, here she is.

You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline TDW

• AF&AM, DORIC LODGE #53, Past Master
« Reply #798 on: April 21, 2020, 11:41:53 PM »
Here is a recently finished Kibler kit with a few (Joseph Whitson Sr. inspired) changes. Patchbox and toe plate from Pierce's excellent "Kentucky Rifles of the Great Smoky Mountains".

[/url

It's a .36 cal, light, and balances perfectly at the rear thimble. It is insanely fast, and shoots to one hole at 50 yds. (Benched)

And just because Alacran made the comment about squirrel rifles with no squirrels.....

[url=https://ibb.co/9rQLVnt]

I borrowed this from my Granddaughter !! The snow is pretty deep in the Squirrel Woods just yet in Montana! ;D
Tom W.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 12:39:53 AM by TDW »

Offline Marvin S

« Reply #799 on: April 22, 2020, 05:05:21 AM »
Just finished this .32 from Pecatonica River.